Sunday, March 21, 2010

Semesteria Uno

So let's get started on this whole thing, yeah?

For those of you who don't know, the MBA program is a two-year deal, with two semesters each year and a summer internship in the middle. The following is a brief account of many experiences throughout the first semester, encompassing Aug-Dec of 2008. Don't let that scare you, I promise brevity. And pictures too!

Many may disagree (often to their detriment), but the first semester of B school is really all about finding and securing a job. Sure, grades are great warm fuzzies for some, but I need something that's gonna pay the rent. Therefore, my first semester was all about gettin' the job.

And how does one do that? Well, mostly you work your ace off networking, give up trying for straight A's, spend countless hours researching companies, revising your resume, and doing mock interviews, then hope that someone decides they like you enough in the 20 minutes they have with you in your real interview to offer you a second round chance. Also, you take time off and spend money you don't have to travel to the companies you're most interested in. Hence, the trip that four of us took mid-semester to the Bay Area to try to get our foot in the door of some major orgs. For security purposes, I won't be listing any company names here, but enjoy the only pictures we took on this trip:

Kim, Emily, and Chloe
Chlo and me (I know I've posted this pic before but I just love it so much.)

Happy to report that the trip paid off and I got an internship offer from one of the companies we visited, due in large part to the extra effort we'd gone through to get out there and in front of them. In the end I decided it wasn't the right fit, but it was nice to have the option and to know that the effort was worth all those B's on my report card.

In addition to the trip above, my first semester also consisted of first round interviews with numerous Fortune 500 companies, a few second round interviews that took me to places such as Phoenix, New York, Charlotte, and Seattle, and ultimately an offer to work for my number one pick, and one of the largest companies in the world. WOOT!

Not listing the names of all the organizations with which I interacted does not adequately do justice to the amazing opportunities I had during that first semester. Even thinking back on it now, I'm amazed by the doors that have been opened for me since coming back to school.

I could go on and on about that last statement, but I think I've already surpassed brevity so now I'll stop. Just doing my best to prove it.

No comments: